Wednesday, September 12, 2007

She Does My Heart Good

My dear, darling, precious and wonderful little sister called me today, oh, around one-ish, and invited me to go get a coffee with her. I was this close to saying, "No, sorry, that sounds great but I can't." When I realized, wonder of wonders, I actually could.

All the usual reasons just did not hold true. The kids? At school. No money? $3 in quarters. Too much work? No project due today. No time? Look at that...an entire hour available.

She picked me up, we went to Starbucks, we had a wonderful if very overpriced beverage, out in the fabulously fresh Lancaster county air on an amazing pre-autumn afternoon. And we conversed, and did not even once make fun of any family members. (Not that we would ever do that. We do not do that.)

Now I'm thinking about how I almost missed an opportunity to have this lovely time with Karen. Why am I so quick to say, Nope...can't do it? Sure, lots of times I genuinely can't do fun things that I would like to, but plenty of times I can. And don't. I think I get stuck in the rut of my daily routine and that of my family, and just don't make time for fun.

My tendency upon this realization is to completely banish all schedules and routines and make room for nothing but fun, the complete opposite of where I am now. But I'm gradually becoming aware of this pendulum-swing quality about myself. (And I should by now, being nearly middle-aged at 35 and all.) The key seems to be moderation. That and really taking the time to listen to myself, and figure out what it is that I really want.

I really want more coffee visits with my sis!

No comments: