Wednesday, September 05, 2007

On Becoming a Morning Person

I've got to admit that I have always sort of disliked morning people. They tend to be so smug, so virtuous, rattling off all the things they've managed to accomplish before I've even had a chance to hit the snooze button. So what? Maybe when I'm up late at night, I'm getting lots of things checked off my to-do list. Did you ever think of that? Is a swiffered floor more perfectly swiffered at 6am than at 11pm?

But I've started to realize a few things lately.

Number One: I'm actually not getting all those things checked off my to-do list after 10pm. The probability that my time is being spent scrubbing toilets is pretty low.

Number Two: I am getting too old for this late night stuff. I need sleep, and plenty of it.

Number Three: I actually like early mornings! Who knew? I like being the first one up and around when the house is quiet (although I'll probably change my tune in January when it's pitch dark outside and the house is freezing cold).

Number Four: Did I mention the house being quiet? I love this about early mornings. Even though the girls go off to school, Kevin and I are both working from home these days, so the only time I get to enjoy the peacefulness is pre-7am.

I still don't like the "Morning Person" moniker. It sounds like someone who rises super-early to eat a bran muffin, power-walk around the neighborhood, sweep off the front porch before any coffee timers have started within a six block radius. But I do like the way I feel, like I'm starting to pull myself together a little more and more each day.

No comments: