Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Family Freak Flag is Flying High

Remember how horrible it was back in junior high when your mom packed some crazy health food item in your lunch? Something that no one else in the whole school would have ever heard of, let alone ever eaten? Like whole wheat bread? All you want is to be normal like everyone else, but mom has to go and let the Family Freak Flag fly. Thanks mom.

Turns out I am now that mom. I am my mom. Hi mom...I am you. You can go escape to Hawaii or Tahiti or wherever your little heart desires because I have officially taken your place. I am now The Most Embarrassing Mom in the World. The kids thought it couldn't get worse, but they were oh so wrong. See I've completely lost it, gone over the edge and gone vegan. And I couldn't be happier about it...not just because my kids are horrified either. I'm thrilled to be embracing a plant-based lifestyle after many years of tossing the idea around. The time has finally come.

So just when the kids are starting to get used to the idea of tofu dogs, soy burgers and the like, they are now going to be seeing lots of soy milk, soy yogurt, soy pudding, etc. Lucky kids.

Someday they'll thank me, just like I now thank my mom for the whole wheat bread. Hey, does that mean I get to escape to Tahiti someday too?

No comments: